8/12/2008

Poland's Paralympic champ in Olympics

BEIJING (Reuters) - Poland's Natalia Partyka is both a long shot and a clear favorite for a table tennis medal at the Beijing Games.

The Polish player, who was born with a right arm that ends at the elbow, is the reining Paralympic champion.

But before defending her Paralympic title, she will get a crack at the Olympics in team play -- one of only two athletes, along with South African swimmer Natalie du Toit, to compete in both in Beijing.

"All the time I play with able people, so I like more the Olympics, but I'm so happy I'm going to play in the Paralympics and I hope I can win," she said.

Partyka, 19, burst into the sport's top tier earlier this year when she defeated Singapore's Li Jia Wei, world number six, in a match at the world team championships.

"A lot of people were surprised but only at the beginning," she said. "I think now it's normal, all the players know me."

Partyka cradles the ball in the nook of her shortened right arm, tossing it up and turning sharply to serve, a technique that has carried her to a world ranking of 147th.

Coupled with excellent footwork, she said she feels no disadvantage against competitors.

"Maybe I'm not so good with body balance but I have strong legs, so really it's not so difficult," she said.

Partyka failed to qualify for singles play at the Olympics and was selected by the national coach for the team competition.

"It is my first but I hope not last (Olympics)," she said. "In London I would like to take part in singles."
Source:By Simon Rabinovitch, reuters.com

Etykiety: ,



Flights to Poland

Novea - Business in Poland